FLY & OVERNIGHT ANTARCTICA EXPEDITION - 2 DAYS
Fly to the white continent, save time and avoid sailing the dangerous Drake Passage
Spend the night in the expedition Ice Camp in Antarctica
Get close to elephant seal and gentoo penguin colonies
Meet researchers and visit a science station
FLY & OVERNIGHT ANTARCTICA EXPEDITION
This exciting experience is the only one of its kind.
If you’re interested in avoiding the dreaded Drake Passage, infamous for its turbulent waters that affect many people during their crossing while on a cruise, then rest assured, this is the adventure for you. The Fly & Overnight Antarctica Expedition is very complete in that it allows you to witness and get a feel for Antarctica’s magic in an unforgettable 2-day stay, including an elephant seal walk.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
If you’re interested in having the experience of your lifetime, we suggest you continue reading. Our Fly & Overnight Antarctica Expedition experience caters to travellers who are interested in checking Antarctica off their bucket list. This mini Antarctica expedition connects you with the marvellous polar wilderness and permits you to live (at least for a moment) in a completely different way.
This adventure is meant to shock, humble, and most importantly, inspire you.
Our transfer will pick you up from your accommodation at Punta Arenas, Argentina, before flying out to King George Island. Upon arrival you will greeted by our expert tour guides, who will then begin the Antarctic tour. Our first stop will be Villa de las Estrellas, the first Antarctic settlement to ever be inhabited, then the Orthodox Russian Church located at Bellingshausen Station, then we will head to Ardley Island.
You will have the opportunity to make some very special friends while on the island. Ardley Island is home to penguin colonies, three of which we will visit. The colonies on your itinerary include; Gentoo, Chinstrap, and Adelie. During this stage of the tour you will also get to witness the magnificence of the Antarctic land and seascape, as we circle around the Collins glacier.
After completing these activities, you will be taken to the Ice Camp base, located on Collins glacier, where you will be spending the night.
The camp comes fully equipped with a thermic tent that includes a dining room as well as other smaller tents and or thermic modules that include bathrooms and sleeping areas. You will be comfortable, we promise.
Day two begins with a walk to the “Elefanteras” which is a large sea elephant colony located in the infamous Drake Passage Area. Once you’re done making friends with the elephant seals we will continue our journey and head towards the “Great Wall” Chinese station. This station was the first Chinese research station to open in Antarctica, back in 1985. Two sites located at the station have been designated as Historic Sites and Monuments in Antarctica.
If there is time after the “Great Wall” visit, we will try to explore another tourist attraction before your boarding and departure towards Punta Arenas.
Note: Antarctica is an exceptionally windy continent with harsh weather conditions that sometimes do not permit flight. Please keep in mind that all flight and tour activities are subject to Mother Nature. In order to guarantee the experience takes place, there is a 4-night stay in Punta Arenas (2 nights before and 2 nights after your visit to Antarctica) built into your package. This increase your probability of being able to make it safely to King George Island. Remember, this is an ‘expedition style’ tour, meaning travellers must remain flexible and adapt to the weather conditions. Also keep in mind that if there is not enough snow on the ground during your visit, you will spend the night in a refuge hut as opposed to the ice camp. Although the hut is not as big it is both warm and comfortable.
WHY IS THIS A
Stay in an ice camp while a private plane waits for your adventure to be over.
The Fly & Overnight Antarctica Expedition is the most direct and comfortable way to get to such a frigid and harsh environment as is the white continent. Not only will you enjoy the spectacular bird views over Magellan Strait, Tierra del Fuego, Darwin Mountain Range, Cape Horn you will also be able to skip the turbulent sail across Drake Passage.
This experience gives you exclusive access to all of King George’s highlights. Your small group of 6 passengers grants you with flexibility and a very personalized level of service.
You will get to visit search camps, talk to researchers, meet penguins and elephant seals, adventure around vast uninhabited lands, all while having well-trained guides by your side. As if visiting Antarctica weren’t exciting enough, this experience ensures comfortable travel, adventure, and will make you feel like an explorer!
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- First, meet at Punta Arena Airport transfer to hotel (4 night-accommodation – buffer bad weather flight to Antarctica).
- Welcoming cocktail and briefing on the short expedition.
- Overnight at your hotel in Punta Arenas (half-board)
Day 1 of Expedition
- Morning transfer from your hotel to the airport.
- Board your small aircraft (9-seater) to King George Island (2 hours)
- On arrival you are welcomed by your local Antarctica guide.
- Visit Villa las Estrellas (first settlement inhabited by civilians), and the Orthodox Russian Church.
- Boat safari to Ardley Island for penguin colonies.
- Transfer to the Ice Camp base near Colins Glacier, dinner and overnight
Day 2 of Expedition
- Morning walk to the elephant seal colony, and visit the Chinese Research Station ‘Great Wall’ (weather permitting)
- Afternoon transfer to the airport and fly back to Punta Arenas
- Overnight at your hotel in Punta Arenas (half-board)
Extra nights in Punta Arenas and transfer back to the airport on your departure day.
- Inclusions: Return flight to King George Island on a small charter aircraft (9-seater) (plane stay overnight with you), 4-night accommodation in 4-star hotel in Punta Arenas (half-board), airport transfers, activities as per itinerary, overnight in an authentic Antarctic expedition camp, expert guide, expedition jacket and boots.
- Exclusions: travel insurance, some meals, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 30 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 29 and 1 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 75% cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" WONDROUS INTRODUCTION TO THE ANTARCTICA!
The landscape is truly amazing, snow, ice, glaciers and ruggedness of the mountains a sight to drink in. There were trails marked out to follow and the going was tough in some spots, all rocky, icy and slippery. We negotiated our way to the penguin colony, up over a rocky path and crossed the penguin highways when there was no penguin traffic. In complete awe watching the antics of the tiny penguins. The afternoon we did a snow shoe walk, which afforded spectacular views of this white wonderland. It began snowing in earnest and the wind whipped up but loved every magical second. An unforgettable experience!.. "