KALAHARI’S SECRET WONDERS: HORSEBACK SAFARI & BUSH WALK – 4 DAYS
Cultural walks with the Zu’/hoasi bushmen, the oldest African inhabitants
Horse riding safari adventures and traditional game drives while observing wildlife, including the charismatic meerkats
Stunning views of the desert and spectacular Kalahari Salt Pans
Support the wonderful Makgadikigadi-Nxai Pans Conservation Initiative
KALAHARI’S SECRET WONDERS: HORSEBACK SAFARI & BUSH WALK
Spend four days and three marvellous nights on the Kalahari Salt Pans while enjoying a variety of unique experiences - including a horseback safari, safari game drives, cultural walks with Bushmen - as well as access to breathtaking wildlife in their natural habitat.
Visit our intimate camp located in the heart of the Kalahari and set amongst the wonderful clay coloured soil and age-old acacia trees of Brown Hyena Island. This adventure will send your spirit soaring as you discover the impressionable charms of the desert and the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans. This experience has it all - culture, wildlife, stunning landscapes, and adventure!
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
Hold on to your horses folks because you’re about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Imagine yourself travelling through the large basin-like plain of the interior plateau of Southern Africa while on the lookout for wonderful creatures that reside in the beautiful but harsh Botswanan environment. The Kalahari's Secret Wonders: Horseback Safari & Bush Walk Experience takes place in sublime Makgadikgadi Salt Pans of the Kalahari where you will be able to enjoy quality time with your surroundings as you stay in quaint Meru tents and spend time getting to know the hidden gems of the area. Part of what makes this experience so special is its proximity to the wilderness.
The location of your stay is so authentic even the meerkats have found a home there!
During this unforgettable stay, you will explore the vast and mysterious pans on horseback, just as the early explorers did, and hopefully make friends with your majestic four-legged travel companion. Gallop among the impressive one million-acre private wildlife reserve Indiana Jones style.
On day two you will have the humbling opportunity to partake in a bush walk with the people of the oldest culture on earth with more than 20,000 years of existence, Botswana’s Zu’/hoasi bushmen and women. This fascinating excursion will give you front row access to an otherwise forgotten world. The following you will get the opportunity to get up close and personal with the habituated meerkats of the Makgadikgadi, as you watch them interact with each other and the environment. Expect to be fully immersed into the wild. But wait, it gets better…on day four of your epic Kalahari's Secret Wonders: Horseback Safari & Bush Walk Experience you will go on a traditional game drive.
This part of the adventure might be the most thrilling considering you and your guide will be on the lookout for some incredible. Chances are you’ll spot everything from brown hyenas, ostriches, zebras, wildebeests, gemsboks, and even lions! And that’s only in the day, as night falls you can expect to run into spring hares, bat-eared foxes, porcupines, and if you’re lucky some aardvarks and aardwolves!
Depending on your travel times (January to March) you may even witness from your horse an incredible natural phenomenon, the second largest wildlife migration on Earth where every year up to 25,000 zebras move in herds across the plains following the rain. Being able to approach these beautiful creatures from the back of their four-legs cousin is beyond ordinary.
Enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience while giving back. Not only will you get to share unforgettable moments with people along the way, you will also help maintain the reserve and all of the animals that reside within it. Hope to see you in Kalahari!
WHY IS THIS A
Stay in the only known location to have a habituated group of meerkats present while also giving back to African wildlife. The Kalahari's Secret Wonders: Horseback Safari & Bush Walk Experience supports the Makgadikigadi-Nxai Pans Conservation Initiative which aims at addressing human-wildlife conflict around the park and introducing sustainable economic incentives for wildlife-friendly land use practices. This marvellous experience allows you to do something great while also having an unforgettable trip.
This semi luxurious camp stay is perfect for those looking to become one with the wild, go on multiple safari adventures, and make sure of their money goes towards creating a better world.
Horseback safari is also something very special as the wildlife is more relaxed seeing you just as another animal, but doing it during the zebra migration is probably one of the most rewarding wildlife experience you can undertake. If you are lucky you may even see flocks of lesser and greater flamingos during the wet summer months as they breed within the salt pan, a vision that is out of this world!
Not to mention you will also get to immerse yourself in the earth's the oldest culture!
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- Meet at Kalahari Camp, if self-drive (from Maun it takes approximately four and a half to five hours, via Planet Baobab from which you will need to be accompanied by a dedicated guide on the drive to your camp), or pick up in Maun if transfer required (options of small plane or road transfer at extra charge)
- Depending on the arrival time in Maun, expect to arrive at lunchtime to check in, allowing an afternoon activity on day 1, such as game drive.
- After dinner at camp, there may be a possibility for a night drive.
Days 2 & 3
- Choice of guided excursions in the area. You can choose from a game drive, bush walk with Zu’/hoasi bushmen, horseback safari adventure in the salt pan (two hours), night drive, meerkat experience on habituated meerkat territory.
- All meals and beverages are included during your stay
- After breakfast, you may have time for another short activity before your transfer back depending on your next location.
- Inclusions: 3-night accommodation in luxury camp, full board and open bar (local drinks), laundry, park fees, conservation fee, English speaking guide, shared guided excursions on private reserve around the lodge. (We included the horse safari which is usually extra charge as it is a key element of the Wildthentic experience).
- Exclusions: Premium liquors, local flights or transfers from Maun, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 60 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 20 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 59 and 45 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 70 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel from 44 days or less in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
"Rustic and unique safari experience
This was our first stop in Botswana, as part of a family reunion trip late last year. The camp has a lovely rustic and wilderness feel to it, whilst providing the luxuries of a home. The staff again, were brilliant, like the other camps we stayed at, in Botswana. We had Bart as our guide, and I can't recommend him enough. His knowledge and passion for the job is visible in the way he goes out of his way to make the experience truly memorable. We heard lions from camp one evening, and he offered to go looking for them, as he suspected where they might be, just from the direction of the calls. And we found the male, just where expected...a short drive from camp.
The sundowners on the pans are amazing not to forget the majestic sunsets we saw. The meerkat and quad bike experiences were very different and truly enjoyed them.
Camp Kalahari has something different to offer from mainstream safari experiences, and I would very much recommend a visit here."