ICE CLIMBING - SÓLHEIMAJÖKULL GLACIER
Guided glacier hiking on Sólheimajökull
Customized ice climbing experience
Spectacular views of Iceland’s south coast including
Very small group & personal pick-up
ICE CLIMBING SÓLHEIMAJÖKULL GLACIER
One of the most exhilarating thing to do in Iceland is ice climbing, challenging yourself whith the closest connection to nature
This experience combines two icy activities; glacier hiking and ice climbing. Join us in the exciting and unexpected undertaking of Iceland´s impressive surface. Explore Iceland and it´s ever-changing landscape by getting up close and personal. Ice climbing and glacier hiking are two of the best ways to experience the Arctic´s uniquely captivating nature.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
This magnificent Icelandic experience begins with a mini road trip. The tour is exclusive and intimate with a small group of up to four guests. This allows us to create a highly personalized experience, with individual hotel pick-up (no bus stop), small and comfortable car, with almost private guiding. Our comfortable eco-friendly vehicles will then set off from Reykjavík to Iceland’s breathtaking South Coast. Before stopping to grab a bite to eat, you will witness incredible sights along this two-hour long drive, including natural treasures like ash mountains, waterfalls, and volcanoes.
Once we reach the Sólheimajökull glacier and gear up we are ready to start our glacier hike. Don’t worry about having the right equipment, we provide that as well. This glacier hiking and ice climbing tour includes waterproof mountaineering boots, technical glacier equipment, and extra rain gear.
The real journey begins once we start working our way through Iceland’s crevassed surface and find an appropriate spot to begin your ice climbing session. During this time you will learn the basics of ice climbing and receive feedback in order to sharpen your skills. With your newfound knowledge and the guide´s expertise we will then find different locations in order to try out various levels of ice climbing difficulty.
Between ice climbing sessions our guides will acquaint you with the marvellous world of glacier hiking. After about 3.5 to 4 hours of hiking and climbing at Sólheimajökull outlet glacier we will set out on another exciting adventure. Next is a 15 minute drive to Skógafoss waterfall where we will make a short scenic stop. Those who wish to view the waterfall from above will be allowed to climb it. You should be back at your hotel anywhere from 19:00 to 20:00.
Don’t worry if you have never ice-climbed before as this tour is designed to introduce you to this technical activity and customize the experience according to your needs. The more comfortable you feel with the basics, the more in depth we can go to give you the fullest adventure thrill of ice-climbing.
WHY IS THIS A
This experience offers door-to-door pickup with smallest group departure offered in all of Iceland!
You are in safe hands! Our local Icelandic guides are so well trained they train others!
Our tour guides´ impressive familiarity and knowledge of the region allows them to take you off the beaten track and away from saturated operations within the area. This allows for your experience to not only be singular but be both authentic and relaxed. You will have the enormous pleasure of feeling alone in the wilderness.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 8:00 Meet at your hotel pick up stop in Reykjavik.
- Scenic drive with your guide and small group for two hours with a stop half way through.
- 10:45 arrive at Sólheimajökull outlet glacier, we gear up and start hiking on the glacier.
- We get to the best spot to experience ice climbing and start practicing, learning the basics. There will be various spots to try different style and level while getting educated about glaciology.
- After up to 4 hours on ice we hike back to the car park.
- Scenic stop on the way back, to Skógafoss waterfall and drive back to Reykjavik.
- You should be back at your hotel between 7:30 and 8:00pm.
- Inclusions: certified and highly qualified glacier guide, high quality mountaineering boots, high-end rainproof gear, technical glacier equipment (crampons, ice-axes, climbing helmet, climbing harness with gear loops, belay device, locking carabineers, rappel extension) and return transfer from your hotel door.
- Exclusions: travel insurance, meals, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 14 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 80 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 14 and 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 6 and 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 20 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" HEART RACING - GLACIER HIKE
For a number of reasons this trip simply takes your breath away, at the very last minute having been let down by a trip booked with (...) our hotel reception found the Glacier Hike trip for us at 10.30pm the evening before (we'd only just found out the other was off) Our little party was hubby & I, neither of us what I'd class as fit, and our companions two young students, and our guide, who was not only very knowledgeable about the area, but made us novices feel extremely comfy, the saying early bird catches the worm, well we were the only ones on the Glazer up to about noon when all of a sudden there seemed to have been a few coach parties turn up.
I have to say that being a group of 4 was perfect because when we needed to slow down or wanted to take yet more photos we all just stopped and waited. I hate to say I forgot his name, but if your reading this - have you fixed your windscreen yet 😀 This last minute not planned trip was heart pumping heart racing & breath taking for every reason you can imagine, my legs are still aching two days later, but worth every ache, don't think twice about if your fit enough, if you can walk up a flight of stairs a few times before you get out of breath - you MUST do this trip. "