Icelandic Horse & Summer Glacier Hike
Channel your inner viking as you connect to the unique & special Icelandic Horse
Walk in the labyrinth of the Sólheimajökull Glacier
Enjoy views of the Eyjafjallajökull Volcano & the great Mýrdalsjökull Glacier
Discover the wonderful waterfalls of Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss
Icelandic Horse & Summer Glacier Hike Experience
The Icelandic Horse & Summer Glacier Hike is an experience fit for a Viking. This adventure takes you through Iceland, the land of Fire and Ice and invites you to connect to the environment as well as its majestic Icelandic horse. You will get to follow traditional riding trails while experiencing an unfamiliar movement known as the Tölt. Walking on a glacier and uncovering all its most hidden secrets, is another great way to connect with Mother Nature. Join us on an exciting Icelandic adventure!
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
A new challenge awaits you. The Icelandic Horse & Summer Glacier Hike Experience is as authentic and wild as it gets, being so close to nature will not only put a smile across your face, it will guarantee that your stay is coloured with the excitement of getting to go on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. We will lead you across unknown boundaries.
The Icelandic Horse & Summer Glacier Hike tour begins with a 1.5 to 2-hour horseback riding excursion. During this ride we will make sure to channel your inner Vikings and show you exciting South Iceland landmarks along the way. We’d also like you to take the time to connect with the animal and possibly draw conclusions over the differences between the Icelandic horse and the average saddle horse breed most of the world is accustomed to riding.
Please keep in mind that where we go during our horseback riding adventure depends on the weather, wind and precipitation must always be taken into account.
Once our ride is complete we will seat and enjoy some freshly baked bread and a delicious soup of the day. Our midday meal is a sure-fire way to give you the energy needed for the glacier hike.
Next, we will go past the Eyjafjallajökull volcano until reaching the great Mýrdalsjökull ice cap, famously known for being Iceland's 4th largest glacier. From the ice cap’s entrance, we will begin to head towards Sólheimajökull, a smaller glacier found on Mýrdalsjökull.
Once we arrive to the Sólheimajökull glacier tongue, you will be able to put all your equipment to use. Your crampons and ice axes will come in handy as you set forth on a Glacier Walk to discover a wonderland of ice sculptures, ridges, deep crevasses, and magnificent blue ice. These natural sights will surely inspire. Before heading back, we will make sure to visit two beautiful and impressive waterfalls otherwise known as Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss.
This Icelandic adventure is guaranteed to be one for the books!
WHY IS THIS A
During this adventure you will experience a great combination of traditional horse riding, glacier hiking, and incredible sightseeing. You will be surrounded by fascinating landscapes.
Where else can you experience an outing truly similar to that of a Viking? This outing is an adventurer’s dream; ride the unique Icelandic Horse with its special gait, hike up famous glaciers while taking in spectacular sights, and eat and drink like local Icelanders.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 8:00 Meet at your hotel pick up stop in Reykjavik.
- Scenic drive with your guide and small group to the south coast of Iceland
- 2h Icelandic horse riding
- Lunch break
- We then stop at Glacier Sólheimajökull for our glacier hike
- We visit Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss on the way back to Reykjavik
- You should be back at your hotel in late afternoon
- Inclusions: certified and highly qualified glacier guide, technical glacier equipment (crampons, ice-axes, climbing helmet, climbing harness with gear loops, belay device) lunch and return transfer from your hotel door.
- Exclusions: travel insurance, meals, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 280 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 279 and 60 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 15 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 59 and 30 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel between 29 and 16 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 75 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 15 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
"It was an action-packed day. Riding the horses was fun and not difficult, then we had a nice lunch and rest before heading to see waterfalls and walking on the glacier. Walking on the glacier was the highlight of the trip, and my wife and I loved seeing the beautiful blue ice."