Kayaking with Whales & Bear Watching
Kayak with killer and humpback whales
Watch Grizzly bears in their natural habitat
Spot bald eagles, seals, or other marine animals
Enjoy spectacular views of multiple islands, natural scenery, and tranquil waters
Kayaking with Whales & Bear Watching Experience
THIS ADVENTURE ALLOWS YOU TO WITNESS KILLER WHALES (ORCAS) FROM SEA-LEVEL AND GRIZZLY BEARS IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT!
This Kayaking with Whales & Bear Watching adventure is one for the books. You will soon find that the best way to watch these magnificent creatures eat and play is from a kayak. This combined experience puts you in direct contact with nature and her majestic creatures. On the last day of the experience, you will enjoy a day full of bear watching. Watch grizzlies from a small boat as they fish for salmon. Join us during this epic endeavour while embracing the beauty of the Johnstone Strait, Blackfish Sound and the world-famous Campbell River, located off the north-eastern corner of Vancouver Island.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
It’s time to slip on those waterproof pants because we’re going on the adventure of a lifetime. Johnstone Strait and Blackfish Sound area is recognized as one of the most predictable places in the world to see killer whales, aka Orcas. These massive marine mammals migrate through the heart of these wildlife-rich waters and thankfully we have found a way to observe them without interfering in their natural path and or using loud, disturbing engines. The Kayaking with Whales & Bear Watching experience is done in small groups and is completely sustainable. Our travellers keep a safe distance from the animals and wait for them to move towards the group, the trained guides ensure the whale’s path is kept open and undisturbed. Please note that it is imperative that all travellers act responsibly in order to ensure the animals’ well-being as well as your unforgettable encounter.
This magnificent adventure consists of four days of pure fun and features one of Canada’s greatest signature experiences.
The first three days of this tour consists of exploring Johnstone Strait waters with its islands and inlets, and getting up close and personal with the whales as well as the area’s diverse marine life. This will be done by kayak which guarantees enjoyment of the elements, exercise, and front row views into the life of the wonderful marine animals. It’s time you enter a foreign territory and exit your comfort zone.
Your three-night stay at the exclusive base camp features comfortable beds and nicely set up tents located on wooden platforms. The camp’s accommodations are perfect for those looking to get a good night's sleep before embarking on a thrilling adventure, not to mention, the scenery is also fantastic. We suggest you enjoy the camp’s hidden cove surroundings as your guides prepare delicious organic meals.
On the fourth day of the adventure, you journey by boat, up Knight Inlet, for a day of grizzly bear watching.
Once you arrive at your destination you will board a flat bottom boat, which allows for a steady view of the bears from the water. Please keep in mind that bear viewing varies and depends upon the season. Early in the summer bear watching is usually done at the mouth of the estuary and nearby beaches whereas in late August and September viewing might be done on land due to the return of pink salmon. These salmon are a delicacy for the bears, therefore, chances are, they’ll be in the water hunting, allowing for us to get optimal viewing opportunities.
Your naturalist and certified kayak guides are well acquainted with the natural history, whales, and other wildlife of British Columbia’s coast, knowledge which they eagerly share. It is hard to miss a killer whale’s two-metre dorsal fin as it passes your kayak. We know this might sound terrifying but rest assured, your guides will brief you on responsibility and the correct way to move and paddle amongst the giants. Your guides also help you spot the less obvious sea stars, urchins and anemones in the shallows and educate you about the other whales, seals, porpoises, and dolphins that frequent these waters.
Kayaking with whales is one of the greatest experiences you can have! Why not do it?
WHY IS THIS A
We will take you into a space where the animals rule and you are but a bystander. This experience guarantees complete immersion and fascination.
The Kayaking with Whales & Bear Watching adventure not only includes killer whales (orcas) and grizzly bears, it also features knowledgeable guides who are able to educate travellers throughout the experience.
This excursion gives you a sea-level view of the world of Orcas and Grizzles while educating you at the same time. You will return from this trip as a new person with a newfound love and admiration for the earth and all its inhabitants.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 8:00 PM pre-trip briefing with guides at local office in Port McNeill, overview of the trip, packing list, dry bag and logistic details.
- 08:30 AM Meet at local office and head to marina. Approx. One-hour water-taxi ride to the camp.
- 09:30AM arrive at camp, orientation walk, allocation of tent, kayak safety briefing and short kayak ride.
- Lunch at camp, more kayaking and wildlife viewing.
- Return to camp late afternoon, dinner and mingling time.
Days 2 & 3
- Full day kayaking, location vary with weather and sea conditions, with great focus on wildlife, bird and whale watching.
- Use of hydrophone to listen to the whales.
- Lunch on shore in beautiful wilderness. Back to camp in evenings.
- 7:00 AM Depart camp by boat for a two-hour ride bear viewing in Knight Inlet.
- Bear viewing starts from Glendale Cove, following the salmon infested river.
- 4:00 PM Return to Telegraph Cove and drive back to Port McNeill
- Inclusions: Qualified kayak guide, kayak and camping equipment, paddling jackets, life vest, tents, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, camping chairs, all meals, water taxi, boat tour for bear watching
- Exclusions: Accommodation in Port McNeill, airport transfers, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 31 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 per cent refund. If you cancel within 30 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 per cent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
[…] trip exceeded all expectations. As a complete novice, I was nervous about kayaking on the ocean, but was convinced by family to take the trip. So, I swallowed my fear and am so glad I did. From our first night meeting the guides and learning how to stuff our dry-sacs, I could tell we were in very good hands. The company is super organized - right down to colour-coding similar items so there is never any question which bag, mug, water bottle etc. is yours! Brilliant.
The base camp is situated on a beautiful, quiet island at a natural point in the landscape that is perfect for viewing sea lions, seals, eagles and whales swimming by. The accommodations were clean, comfortable (loved that I didn't have to sleep on the ground!) and the food was delicious - every single meal!
Our guides were knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna, and one was an absolute fountain of information about whales which provided for excellent mealtime conversations. Our group ranged in age from about 14 to 60, and all of us were very new to kayaking. Our guides, Allie and Nova, were very patient in instructing us, ensuring we were all comfortable in our kayaks and giving regular paddling feedback and tips to make the experience truly enjoyable. By the end of the first day, I felt completely at ease in the kayak out on the open water - major fear conquered! This is a testament to very capable guides!
What a fabulous adventure we had - we saw whales and grizzly bears in their natural habitats, doing what they do. It was fun to spend time with the other guests from 3 different countries - we met as strangers and left as friends. I would definitely do this again, and highly recommend this company. There doesn't seem to be anything they haven't thought of to give their guests a top-notch experience. Well done!"