Magpie Rafting Expedition - 7 days
Enjoy exhilarating whitewater rafting along Magpie River.
Visit uninhabited islands, maelstroms, pebble beaches, and more!
Go sea kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding along pristine waters.
Stay in the magnificent hanging Gorge Camp and if you’re lucky you might even see the Aurora Borealis!
Magpie Rafting Expedition
This week-long adventure is full of wild fun. During your Rafting Magpie Expedition, you will get to visit some of the most remote and breathtaking locations Quebec has to offer all while enjoying the great outdoors. Get ready, these seven days are jam-packed with rafting, sea kayaking, hiking, swimming, and exploring
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
During this adventure you will get to explore areas few people have seen while tackling 4+ rapids located in one of Canada’s most famous rivers. You will camp on breathtaking islands and be constantly surrounded by nature’s magnificence. Become an expert tracker as you learn to decipher between the tracks of a moose, bear, wolf and or lynx. Witness, star filled nights that may include sights of the Northern Lights. Walk around ancient forest, smell the fresh scent of pine trees laden and enjoy the wonderful sounds of water caressing the rocky shores. This Rafting Magpie Expedition takes you through remote falls, deep pools and pristine waters, all while offering the adventure of a lifetime.
Day 1 of the Rafting Magpie Expedition consist of scenic travel, so get your camera ready!
Our journey begins at the Chateau Arnaud Hotel in Quebec. Once we arrive there we will have a short briefing before heading for an hour-long gorgeous ride along the St. Lawrence River. We will drive past beautiful mountains and cliffs until reaching our helicopter launching point. Once in the helicopter we will get to enjoy birds eye views of all the magnificent landscapes located in the area. As we arrive at the 30-mile-long Magpie Lake, we will set up camp and prepare for the adventurous week ahead.
Day 2 is spent learning the ropes and becoming comfortable with the surroundings, we will be rafting and inflatable kayaking around Class IV whitewater rapids.
A guide and instructor will accompany you along your journey. This first day of paddling will give you a wonderful introduction into the magical world of Magpie and its old boreal forest, thick white lichen hillside, and bright colours of the green moss and spotted granite. Your last rapid of the day will consist of a large technical 4+ whirlpool…talk about exciting! We will then set up camp in a cove that is tucked away deep into nature’s forest.
Day 3 is filled with more adventure as we run more Class IV rapids before reaching our first impassable Class VI rapid!
After navigating the river’s stellar waters, we will return for a laid-back afternoon lunch where we will get to enjoy the scenery and ride the swift currents. This portion of the river is perfect for first time inflatable kayak users. After spending the day enjoying the wonderful aquatic activities we well head to a beautiful little island, surrounded by beach, in the middle of a miniature lake, and go stand up paddle boarding.
Day 4 is spent further exploring the area via various methods of transportation, aka rafts, inflatable kayaks (duckies), and paddle boards.
Day 5 of the rafting has the biggest rapids of the trip including a double drop, various ledges, and a 13-foot-high fall!!
You will also raft down the impressive Picket Fence rapid which is the longest, most technical rapid on the river. Afterwards you will paddle across a lake to the magnificent Gorge Camp for the night. This camp is known as being one of the most specular camps in the world! It hangs on the edge of a stunning granite gorge laced with three impassable Class VI cataracts. This location also offers the opportunity to witness the stunning aurora borealis! This day is surely one of the trip’s major highlights.
Day 6 of the Rafting Magpie Expedition is full of spectacular sights and breathtaking trails.
We will begin our day with an hour-long morning hike to the base of the first falls located within the gorge. Take in the magnitude of the surrounding beauty, we will stand some mere feet away from the wild maelstrom that drops over one hundred feet. We will spend the afternoon hiking, swimming, sightseeing, and enjoying before a helicopter arrives to the camp and portages our camping gear down below the gorge for our final night's campout.
The next morning, Day 7, provides more adventure as we paddle our sea kayaks or stand-up paddle boards along the river’s currents.
We will then enjoy another scenic car ride to Sept Iles where we will go on a 1.5 hourlong hike up to the wonderous 130-foot-high (30 metres) Manitou Falls. We will explore and play all day until heading back to basecamp and freshening up for our farewell dinner and a comfortable night in the lovely Chateau Arnaud Hotel.
Day 8 is our departure day, and the trip ends after checking out from the hotel.
WHY IS THIS A
Join us on this epic Rafting Magpie Expedition which is one of only two commercially run rafting river excursions in the world that is accessed by helicopter.
This exhilarating adventure takes you through unchartered territories, wild forest, remote lakes and wild river canyons.
Come with us as we guide you through an outstanding whitewater experience guided by professional instructors.
Discover your inner voyageur as you tackle challenging 4+ rapids, paddle board along pristine island waters, camp out in the famous Gorge Camp, and make new lifelong friends while sharing stories around a campfire
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 11:00am Meet in the lobby of the Chateau Arnaud Hotel.
- Trip briefing and drive one hour along Saint-Lawrence River to helicopter base.
- Fly to Magpie Lake, the first base camp.
- Whitewater rafting or inflatable kayaking, training on paddling skills in class four rapids.
- Kayaking/rafting and stand up paddle boarding down the river.
- Afternoon float down the river to the camp.
- Morning rafting class 2 and 3 rapids up to class 4 Saxophone rapid.
- Opportunities for inflatable kayak and stand-up paddle board.
- Afternoon class 3 rapids to sand beach, camp base.
- Morning rafting biggest rapids including double drop (4+), Ledges (4+), Trust Falls (4) and Picket Fence (4+)
- Afternoon paddle across the lake to magnificent Gorge camp.
- Morning is one-hour hike to the base of the falls with chances to swim
- Hike down to the end of the gorge and paddle inflatable kayaks to the top of Magpie Falls.
- Lunch, and head to camp on the edge of the fall.
- Morning paddle sea kayak or stand up paddle board down the river
- Meet the bus and drive 45 minutes
- Hike for 1.5 hours to spectacular Manitou falls
- Drive back to Sept-Iles and check into hotel
- Morning check out after breakfast. The tour ends here.
- Inclusions: Certified and highly qualified guides, helicopter ride to Magpie River, all meals, road transfers, one-night hotel accommodation, all activities and gears, 6 nights camping.
- Exclusions: Travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities and airport transfers.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 120 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is only a US$150 cancellation fee. If you cancel between 119 and 90 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a US$1,000 cancellation fee. If you cancel between 89 and 50 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 49 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
"That was sooooo much fun...!!"