OQAATSUT WINTER SETTLEMENT EXPERIENCE - 3 DAYS
Spend a day in an authentic Oqaatsut Settlement
Witness the Northern Lights
Go dogsledding and snowmobiling with a local
Walk over see ice and see spectacular snowy landscapes
OQAATSUT WINTER SETTLEMENT EXPERIENCE - 3 DAYS
In three days we compiled all the 'must do' in Greenland in winter: dogsledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, northern lights & inuit local immersion. be ready for a life changing experience!Join us in a mind blowing three-day experience. Have you ever travelled to the Arctic? Want to visit isolated villages in the middle of a winter wonderland? We invite you to do both as you embark on an extraordinary Greenland adventure called the Oqaatsut Winter Settlement Experience. From February to April you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a foreign culture. Oqaatsut is a region in Greenland with about 50 inhabitants. It is a place where icebergs roam the ocean and fishing boats provide the citizens with their summer source of income. Oqaatsut is fascinating. Not only does this small village allow its visitors to completely disconnect from modern day life, it also gives travellers the opportunity to witness pure peace and quiet.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCEThe day begins with a snowmobile ride from Ilulissat to Oqaatsut. The Oqaatsut accommodation is in a small guesthouse run by locals. This is as authentic as it gets. Every traveller or couple receives their own room. The living room area will be shared, this is meant to inspire camaraderie and maintain intimacy.
You will get to enjoy the views of the frozen sea and the mountains while local families cook your meals.There will be a guide with you at all times. This person will double as a translator as well so you can chat with the locals! You will also have the opportunity to choose between two-night activities. Your first option is to walk across the frozen sea, snowshoeing, in search of a bright full moon or the stunning phenomenal occurrence of the Northern Lights. And your second option is to remain indoors and spend time learning about Greenlandic culture through chatting, singing, dancing, and playing such as the Inuits have been doing for thousands of years. This will be the only full day at the settlement therefore it is important we make it count! Day two is for the extraordinary because there will be dogsledding! A local musher and his dogs will give you the tour of a lifetime. Day two is full of snow, speed, and smiles. You will get to travel around Oqaasut’s surrounding untouched areas as well as alternate dogsledding with other winter delights. Savour day three for it is the last. Enjoy a group breakfast and say your goodbyes to the stunning snowy surroundings. All travellers will head back to Ilulissat on snowmobile as they probably wonder when they’ll be able to come back. Rest assured, we provide all the equipment necessary. Our expert guides will also teach travellers how to drive the snowmobile and ride the dogsled. We have you covered.
WHY IS THIS A WILDTHENTIC EXPERIENCE?
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- Inclusions: Includes all the equipment for snowmobile activity (snowmobile, helmet, extra warm jacket and pants, mittens and boots) and dogsledding (sled, dogs, musher, extra warm jacket and pants, mittens and boots), 2 nights in a B&B, 2 breakfasts, 3 meals with local food and local English speaking guide.
- Exclusions: Hotel transfers, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" Authentic settlement experience trip was like a warm hug from Greenland. We travel from Ilulissat to a small settlement called Oqaatsut and spend wonderful time there. This trip combined few “must to do” activates in Greenland such as snowmobile, dogsledding, kaffemik and Northern lights tour. My favourite moment of this trip was having dinner with a local family and afterwards staying longer, playing cards with them. I haven’t felt any language barrier (we had our local guide translating most important parts for us), I just enjoyed company and felt like part of community. If you want to relax and escape from city life, and you love nature and you want to see how people live in Greenland I really recommend you go on this trip! "