salkantay to machu picchu in style - 5 days
Trek Salkantay Valley and visit Machu Picchu
Glamp in eco-domes located in the heart of the Andes
Learn about some of the Ancient Inca people’s mystifying secrets
Visit the stunning Humantay Glacial Lake and view the surroundings from heights over 4,500 meters
SALKANTAY TO MACHU PICCHU IN STYLE
We believe we should congratulate ourselves on this one. We have officially found the best way to travel from Salkantay to Machu Picchu.
This five-day adventure not only allows you to hike up the most spectacular routes the area has to offer but it also allows you to camp in style. You will get to hike from Salkantay, a unique mountain that is perfectly in line with Machu Picchu, to the once religious and administrative centre of the Inca Empire. Travelling from Salkantay to Machu Picchu is one of the greatest activities you can partake in, while visiting Peru. This area is known for its breathtaking sights across the land as well as across the sky.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
This trip is perfect for the adventurous traveller looking to enjoy scenery and have the experience of a lifetime. Travel the Wildthentic way by avoiding ‘touristy’ routes. This glamping aka glamorous camping experience invites you to discover different paths and avoid crowded trekking trails. You will get to explore breathtaking historical and archaeological sites while also learning about their purpose.
Visit stunning and remote places like Marcahuaylla and Choquechurco (Place where Gold is). These areas are unknown to most and serve as a wonderful example of the richness both the Earth and Inca culture possess. These hidden ruins are tucked away within a forest of native and fairy-tale like Polylepis trees. If there ever was a time to feel like Indiana Jones, this is it.
Discover the mystifying secrets of the Inca people while learning about the lunar cycles. The sky was a massive source of inspiration for the Incas, leading them to chart and study the Moon and its phases. You will go to places that served as honouring grounds for Pachamama (Mother Earth) and her immeasurable amount of wonders. Choquechurco is home to a Moon Stone that despite the passing of time remains untouched and intact. We offer you the opportunity to bask in this peaceful site that offers such a deep connection to the ancient Inca culture.
Take the road less travelled on your way from Salkantay to Machu Picchu
On this five-day adventure you will get to choose the level of hiking that best suits your needs, options range from easy to challenging. This trip will go far beyond your wildest dreams. You will get to see the majestic Andean condors fly over the Apurimac Canyon, visit the stunning Humantay Glacial Lake and view the surroundings from heights over 4,500 meters. Not to mention, you’ll be camping out, in luxury, in the heart of the Peruvian Andes.
Lastly, we would like to discuss the camping lodge. The camps used for this trip are unlike any other because they are comfortable, exclusive and completely sustainable! Every camp has eight 28m2 dome tents that come equipped with a wood burning stove and a bathroom with toilet. The bathroom provides hot water and a massaging showerhead. You also get king-sized beds and access to a dinning and a lobby bar dome. Talk about camping in style! Is there a better way to go from Salkantay to Machu Picchu? We certainly don’t think so!
WHY IS THIS A
This trip is perfect for the adventurous traveller looking to enjoy scenery and have the experience of a lifetime. Travel the Wildthentic way by avoiding ‘touristy’ routes. This glamping aka glamorous camping experience invites you to discover different paths and avoid crowded trekking trails. You will be rewarded by stunning hikes without compromising your comfort. You will get to explore breathtaking historical and archaeological sites while also learning about their purpose. Wildthentic highly value the learning and engaging experience along with beautiful wilderness and sustainability.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 8:30 Pick up at the hotels and drive 70km (approx. 2hrs drive) north of Cuzco to Chonta, and walk one hour to the Andean Condor viewpoint by Apurimac Canyon. (OR visit less known Inca’s archeological sites Killarumiyoc and Tarahuasi.
- Lunch with the condors before to transfer to our first glamping spot in Pincopata. Afternoon at leisure with options to go horse riding or biking in the surroundings.
- Dinner at camp: Traditional Peruvian cuisine
- Scenic guided hike through Salkantay Valley, approx. 5hrs walk in total.
- Lunch at the next camp
- Afternoon guided hike to the spectacular Humantay Glacial lake and return to camp (round trip approx. 3hrs)
- After breakfast, hike to the famous Salkantay Pass (Abra Pass) at 4,664m, approx. 7-8hrs walk in total.
- Lunch in the descent before to trek back to the first camp in time for a gorgeous dinner
- After breakfast, we travel through the Sacred Valley and catch the train to Aguas Calientes.
- Packed lunch on the way in the train
- Afternoon guided visit of Machu Picchu after most visitor have left, stay until sunset.
- Overnight in comfortable hotel set on a natural reserve in Aguas Calientes.
- After breakfast, we ride on the panoramic train back to Ollantaytambo and transfer to Cuzco.
- Drop off at the airport or at the hotel of your choice at lunch time, End of the tour.
*Best time to visit is during the dry season (Apr-Oct) but away from busiest months (July-August).
- Inclusions: Transportation from/to Cuzco, all meals, hot drinks and snacks, horses and bikes, English-speaking trekking guide, 3-night accommodation in luxury domes and overnight in comfortable lodge, Machu Picchu entrance fee, Panoramic train ride and drinking water.
- Exclusion: Alcoholic drinks, Cuzco accommodation, optional activities
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 60 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a USD300 cancellation fee. If you cancel between 59 and 30 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 29 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WHAT TO BRING
- Sturdy hiking shoes
- Hiking thermal shirts
- Hiking and waterproof trousers
- Warm jacket
- Rain poncho (can be bought locally)
- Sun hat (can be bought locally)
- Head torch
- Insect repellent
- Wool hat (can be bought locally)
- Waterproof gloves
- Comfortable shoes for around the camp
- Swimsuit (optional for hot springs)
- Walking sticks (can be bought locally)
- Camera, spare batteries
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" Amazing trek with breathtaking views and great service
This trek is pretty challenging for anyone in athletic shape but without lots of trekking experience, but totally worth it! The views of the mountains and jungle valleys are insane. Also the service is incredible with great meals at every stop and very comfortable amenities each night. Our guide, Simba, was very motivating and funny, making the trip even more enjoyable."