SILFRA SNORKELLING EXPERIENCE
Snorkel between two continents
Visit Thingvellir UNESCO World Heritage Site
Tour Silfra Hall, Silfra Cathedral, and Silfra Lagoon
Learn about Silfra’s unique geology and cultural history
SILFRA SNORKELLING EXPERIENCE : ACROSS TWO CONTINENTS
Ever thought you could swim in almost freezing water and touch both continents at once?
Silfra Snorkelling is a fantastic way to have an underwater adventure. Its crystal clear waters provide some of the best visibility in the world. It is one of Iceland's greatest highlights, easily accessible and within the area of the Golden Circle.
Snorkelling allows travellers the freedom to discover new waters without needing a scuba certification. Therefore, Silfra Snorkelling can be done by anyone who can swim and is willing to get into nearly freezing waters!
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCEPick up is simple. Your guide picks you up at your hotel in Reykjavík and drives you to the Thingvellir National Park. The trip from the city to the park takes about an hour and it is important to note that pick up is 1.5 hours before tour time. On the way you will have time to get to know each other and start to find out more about this incredible geological site. Once you arrive at Silfra, you will get your dry suit, thermal suit and snorkelling equipment according to the measurements provided. Groups are kept small and are no more than six people per guide. You will be taken through a step-by-step process on how to use the special equipment. Ensure that you remain warm and comfortable during your submergence.
The Silfra Snorkelling Experience is perfect for adventurous people looking to do something unique!The snorkelling tour will take anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes and covers the four main parts of Silfra. First, we visit, Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section where the continental plates are located. Then we swim to a wider section of the fissure called ‘Silfra Hall’. Here is where the water’s magnificence shines through displaying a variety of colour and remarkable clarity. Next, we travel about 150 meters to an area near Thingvallavatn which is where the Silfra Cathedral is located. This section of the fissure is about 20 meters deep and 100 meters long, all of which you will be able to see across. The tour will end at yet another incredible section of the glacial slit known as the ‘Silfra Lagoon’.
WHY IS THIS A WILDTHENTIC EXPERIENCE?
Snorkellers get to swim through Silfra's exceptionally clear, fresh water. The geological significance of this site provides travellers with the rare opportunity to swim between continental plates! Plus, where else in the world would you snorkel in a dry suit?
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 8:00 Meet at your hotel pick up stop in Reykjavik.
- Drive with your guide and small group for one hour to the Thingvellir National Park and learn about the area.
- Arrive at the park, there are warm facilities and a converted bus into changing room waiting for you. Your guide will provide you with your gear and help you getting ready to confront the nearly freezing water.
- Once fully geared up and after your in-depth safety briefing, you walk 100 metres to the starting point. There, you get assisted to put on your snorkel and fins, and two by two gently get into the water and float and swim along the tectonic plates and enjoy the ride.
- Snorkel through the three key areas of Silfra for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Walk back to your base with your guide and enjoy a hot chocolate and snacks as you get changed. You have some free time to wander and check the surroundings before to head back to Reykjavik.
- You should be back at your hotel between 2:30 and 3:00pm.
- Requirements: Before joining the tour, you will need to read and sign the Snorkelling Silfra Medical Statement (to be signed online after booking) and sign the liability release form (at the start of the tour).
- Difficulty: Challenging. You must be reasonably fit and comfortable swimming to join this activity. You must be ready to wear a tight and somewhat constricting dry suit (pregnant women can’t join this tour). There is a gentle current pushing you into the right direction, some areas are quite shallow but easy to get through. The main challenge is facing the cold (especially in winter) but the water will never be below 2-3 degrees, and your gear will keep you warm and dry, except from your face and hands.
- Inclusions: Snorkelling gear (Masks, Snorkels, Fins), thermal suit and full compressed neoprene dry suit (with integrated boots), hoods and semi-dry gloves, hot chocolate and biscuits, highly qualified guides, marine park fees, and return transfer from your hotel.
- Exclusions: Travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities. High resolution pictures of your tour taken from your guide will be available for an extra ISK2,990 (USD30).
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- Swim suit
- Thermal and comfortable clothes to wear under the thermal suit
- Very warm socks (wool socks are highly recommended)
- Warm gloves for pre / post snorkelling.
- Camera and spare batteries (waterproof camera like GoPro is welcome)
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses!
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" Beautiful and unreal experienceOne in a lifetime experience snorkeling in Silfra. Our guide Fraser was amazing, and helped us calm our nerves as well as taught us the history of the area. Would highly recommend this company to anyone, and of course ask for Fraser! Thank you for the fantastic and memorable experience! "