SUMMER INUIT ADVENTURE - 2 DAYS
Unforgettable intimate hike through the wilderness
Spend time with the locals at Oqaatsut settlement
Kayak among Icebergs
Witness the Midnight Sun
SUMMER INUIT ADVENTURE - 2 DAYS
Hike, kayak and connect with the local Inuit community
This Oqaatsut expedition is designed to immerse you into Greenlandic daily life. The purpose of this journey is to connect you, the adventure traveller, with your surroundings from our first-hand experience into a world few come across.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
Our adventure begins with an unforgettable hike to Oqaatsut. Step by step you will feel yourself getting closer to witnessing Greenland in all its authentic glory. The hike is 20 kilometres and takes about 6 to 7 hours. On the way, we will discover nature in its most pristine form.
The Oqaatsut experience will open your eyes to the simplicity of life. Beauty does not always come from gold, it can be found in the most unexpected places, including a small red shed in the middle of a snowy field.
The settlement of Oqaatsut, is maintained by a small community who enjoys being close to the sea. Most residents are fishermen, so the summer sun allows them to spend the day on their fishing boats waiting to see what treasures emerge. Once the winter months arrive these locals must switch their boat for sleds.
Oqaatsut area offers air and landscapes that are continually rejuvenating themselves. Witness the fruit of the land’s thaw and the beautiful lakes that emerge from it on our way to this picturesque settlement. Once we arrive, we check into our guesthouse and this is a time for you to enjoy yourself and relax. After dinner we can go for an evening wonder and witness local life in the summer.
The second day of our Oqaatsut expedition involves kayaking. With a little luck, we may even see whales as we kayak between icebergs. Imagine, kayaking through history! Imagine, traveling the same route mail carriers and ancient hunters have done for thousands of years before you arrived. Next, we will have the unique opportunity to swim in the sea of Greenland.
Before returning to Ilulissat, we visit a local home for a typical Greenlandic lunch. After lunch, we still have a little more time to explore the settlement. Afterwards, we board the boat back to Ilulissat. This is where another magical moment may occur as we get to see the perpetual sunlight of the polar summer painting the icebergs.
This two-day experience around Oqaatsut is highly recommended. Note that you do not need experience for the hike or the kayak but must be reasonably fit. Our team will brief you on everything you will need to know before-hand. Rest assured, you will be in expert hands.
WHY IS THIS A
The Oqaatsut experience will open your eyes to the simplicity of life. Beauty does not always come from gold, it can be found in the most unexpected places, including a small red shed in the middle of a snowy field. The Summer Inuit Adventure allows you to witness life as if you were a local by connecting to Greenland’s wild terrain through an incredible hike and fantastic kayaking experience among the magnificent icebergs. Embrace the colours of the midnight sun with the intimate tour group and live as Greenlanders do.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
Oqaatsut is a small traditional settlement of hunters and fishermen (approx. 40 inhabitants) found by whalers in the XVI century, and situated 20 Km North of Ilulissat. The village is accessible by foot, following a trail that allows you to discover the beauty of Greenland’s landscape.
- 9:00 You meet at the office, check our gear size for the kayak excursion and meet the guides.
- You drive to the beginning of the Cecilia trail.
- You start our day hike to reach Oqaatsut (20km).
- You arrive and are welcomed in the local settlement and check into the guesthouse for the night.
- Enjoy local food for dinner and sleep in this quiet settlement, where only the sound of icebergs calving or dogs hauling break the absolute silence.
The overnight is in a traditional old house that has been rebuilt to accommodate travellers.
- Breakfast and check out of the guesthouse.
- You head to the kayak operations and gear up.
- You walk to the kayaks and get your safety briefing before to get in the water.
- Let the adventure begin! You kayak in the bay for up to two hours.
- Back to Oqaatsut, after getting changed, you enjoy a warm lunch in a local home.
- You then get on your private boat to Ilulissat in the afternoon, with one hour ride back. Arrival in late afternoon.
- Inclusions: Hiking & kayaking guides, accommodation in Oqaatsut, lunch and dinner Day 1, breakfast and lunch Day 2, kayak technical equipment, kayak tour pictures.
- Technical equipment provided: kayak, paddles, cockpit cover, Gore-Tex dry suit, life vest, boots, gloves, dry bags and walking poles.
- Exclusions: Hotel transfers, travel insurance, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC'S TRAVELLER TESTIMONIAL
" Greenland is the Kayaking Epicenter
We had an amazing group of highly competent kayakers. Kayaking is all they do so they know every nook and cranny of the Ilullsiat area and beyond. And they know it well. We were impressed by their equipment even though we had brought our own dry suits, etc. Alberto is a wonderful manager and kayaker with a generosity of spirit that is delightful. We felt safe, secure and well cared for. Our interests were taken into considerations and broadened by Alberto's connection with an Inuit family where we had a delightful lunch and informative discussion with the family.
This is definitely the kayaking epicentre of Ilulissat. I would not trust any other organization after my experiences kayaking!!!! "