SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS IN THEIR NATURAL HABITAT
Swim with Dusky dolphins in their natural habitat
Opportunity to watch Dusky Dolphins as they flip and perform acrobatic movements
Enjoy both mountain and ocean views with a chance to spot sperm whales
Small groups allow for a more hands on experience
SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS IN THEIR HABITAT
The only place in the world where you can get close to Dusky Dolphins in the Wild, let's go!
Kaikoura is a beautiful small town located on the east coast of New Zealand's South Island. It is well known because it is considered as one of the best places in New Zealand to have encounters with marine life. Kaikoura is the place to go if you’re interested in; whale watching, albatross spotting, fur seal gazing, or swimming with dusky dolphins. This town has turquoise waters, impressive mountains, and incredible access to outdoor activities.
DETAILS OF THIS EXPERIENCE
One of Kaikoura’s most loveable resident is the dusky dolphin. This beautiful marine mammal is playful and curious. The Swimming with Dolphins in their Habitat Experience is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that should be on everyone’s bucket list. You must realise that this tour is an open ocean experience and in order to swim with the dolphins you should be confident in the open ocean and it is an advantage to have had previous snorkelling experience. Please note that our crew do not enter the water on our tours.
Kaikoura is where people go to find beauty, tranquillity, connection to nature, and of course, adventure! This town offers spectacular outings apart from this one. But, what makes this experience so special is the adventurer’s proximity to the fun-loving dusky dolphin. You will get to play, swim, and see the dolphins in all their glory. Try doing flips with the dolphin, watch them race boats, and enjoy their communicative sounds.
The experience last about 3.5 hours and begins with a wet suit fitting prior to departure. Once the fitting is complete, we get on a bus for a short 10-minute bus ride before boarding a water vessel. After we board the vessel, the search for the dolphins begins. Once the dolphins are located you will slip into the water and begin swimming with dolphins!
Before the experience is over we will make sure to allot time for photos as well as give in-depth commentary about the dolphins and the natural environment. Please note that in New Zealand all marine mammals are protected by law. This experience does not negatively affect the dusky dolphins or their environment. Many precautions are taken when preparing for the experience and the tour helps funding research and education on birds and marine mammals.
WHY IS THIS A
Come face to face and swim alongside one of the most joyous animals known to man. This Swimming with Dolphins in their Habitat allows you to interact with wild dolphins in their natural environment and on their terms. Join us for a wonderful experience in a pristine location.
Watch in awe as you find yourself with dozens of playful dusky dolphins, known as the most interactive and acrobatic of all dolphin species. New Zealand’s Kaikoura is one of the only places in the world where you can visit these wonderful creatures.
While enjoying this experience you also support conservation efforts in research and education with marine mammals and birdlife.
AGENDA FOR YOUR ADVENTURE
- 5:30am/8:30am/12:30pm Meet at the local office in Kaikoura
- Collect your gear and wetsuit, safety briefing
- Transfer to the South Bay marina by bus (10min)
- Sail to the South of the Peninsula in search of pods of dolphins
- Spend on average 20 to 40 minutes in the water with the dolphins, depending on encounters and how inquisitives they are. There will be up to 5 attempts to meet the dolphins.
- Time on boat for photography and dedicated lecture about dusky dolphins from marine biologists.
- Warm snacks on board (hot soup, hot chocolate, ginger cookies)
- Sail back to shore and transfer back to the local office.
- Time for a hot shower and warm up in local office
- End of excursion
- Inclusions: marine biologist guides, wetsuit, snorkel and mask, return transfer to the marina, boat excursion, lecture on dusky dolphins, hot soup, hot drinks and snacks, hot shower, 5 attempts to swim with dolphins.
- Exclusions: travel insurance, meals, personal expenses, tips and gratuities.
- Voucher info: You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this experience.
- Local operator information: Complete Operator information, including local telephone numbers at your destination, are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
- Cancelation policy: If you cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 24 hours of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
WILDTHENTIC TRAVELERS TESTIMONIALS
" This falls into bucket list category with a big tick. I decided that this experience was a must whilst in Kaikoura and I'm so glad that I did. Being a scuba diver, I am used to interacting with sea life but this absolutely blew my socks off. I lost count (fairly quickly) of the number of beautiful dusky dolphins that came right up to me and swam circles around me with tremendous speed and grace. They are simply a joy to be in the water around. Once we had swam with them for about an hour (and we were well and truly worn out) we got back onto the boat and were treated to an aerial display worthy of the circus as dolphin after dolphin performed jumps and back flips right before our eyes, dropped jaws and frantically clicking cameras. This really was a once in a lifetime experience."