SUNSET & SUNRISE
SILFRA DESERVES ITS OWN LOCATION IT IS SUCH A SPECIAL PLACE!
Iceland has relatively newfound tourism popularity and we know why. This island is home to the incredible ‘Golden Circle’. This popular sightseeing route is home to treasures, one of which is the spectacular fissure officially known as the Silfra Tectonic Fissure. This tectonic area is arguably one of the best stop you can make while travelling the Golden Circle.
Known for its crystal clear waters and deep canyons, this place is geologically fascinating and source of some really exciting activities...
WHY WE LOVE
Where Two Continents Meet
Silfra is one of Iceland’s greatest and most sought after natural wonders. It is a fascinating place where the tectonic boundary between North America and Eurasia can be found. This freshwater rift located in the Þingvellir National Park in Iceland is not only geologically impressive; it is also jaw-droppingly beautiful.
Summer & Winter Delight
Silfra’s imperfectly perfect seam allows explorers to plunge into the watery depths towards the center of earth. The Tectonic Fissure is ready for you no matter what time of the year you choose to visit. In the summer this marvelous location is brimming with bright green algae that add spectacular color to the otherwise darkened rocks, not to mention you can swim amid the light of the Midnight Sun. If you decide to come in winter, you will be able to enjoy the sunrise and watch snowflakes as they fall and fall upon the surface of Silfra’s waters.
Pure, Clear Water
Not only is the location unique, so is the water. The fissure’s water is impressively clear and pure because the area is made up of glacier meltwater that gets filtered through porous underground lava. This process accounts for the water’s clarity as well as its drinkability. The visibility is so fantastic that divers can see up to 92 meters (300 feet) between the harden lava cliffs. The water is said to refract light the same way crystals do. Imagine that? Now, that’s what we call crystal-clear!
DID YOU KNOW?
- Silfra’s water is on the verge of freezing. Seriously, if it got any colder you would not be able to swim in it because it would be a block of ice. The water ranges from 2°C / 35°F to 4°C / 39°F.
- Life above the water is very different from below. No plant life grows on the submerged rocks found within the fissure, fish do not venture there either for it is too cold.
- The Eurasian and North American tectonic plates that make up the Silfra Fissure drift about 2 cm (0.79 in) apart each year. This builds tension between the plates and the earth’s mass.
- The water is so pure you can drink it during your descent.
- Each drop of water in Silfra is likely to be over 100 years old because it is made up of meltwater from Langjökull, Iceland's second-largest glacier that filters through the porous hardened lava. The filtering process takes anywhere from 50 to 100 years!
- Chances are the iceberg that caused the Titanic to sink originated in Ilulissat.
OUR SILFRA WILDTHENTIC EXPERIENCES
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
IF YOU LIKE SILFRA YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
South Iceland & Golden Circle
South Iceland has a diverse and magnificent natural environment filled with marvellous scenery that is easy to access and experience all year round. South Iceland’s coast is known for its spectacular waterfalls, glaciers, beaches, glacier lagoons, mountains, volcanoes, and nature reserves.