TENORIO VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK
SUNSET & SUNRISE
Tenorio Volcano National Park, located in the Guanacaste region, features a magical forest and a famous river known as Rio Celeste.
Despite local fame Rio Celeste is a Costa Rican secret. This river features off-the-beaten-path muddy roads and is lines with ancient trees that house monkeys, tropical birds, and other exciting species. Not to mention, the Tenorio Volcano National Park is also home to the spectacular Celeste Waterfall! Rio Celeste offers the perfect views and paths for those interested in getting lost in a fairy-tale. The river’s water is often compared to that of the mermaid lagoon found in Peter Pan. Tenorio Volcano National Park houses many beautiful rivers including the Tenorio River, one of our all time favorites! If you’re looking for an exceptional adventure near an enchanting river, you’ve come to the right place!
WHY WE LOVE TENORIO VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK
We love Tenorio Volcano National Park for its beauty and its surrounding area.Both Rio Celeste and Tenorio river offer freat hiking, and trekking opportunites. Celeste’s 14-kilometer stretch leaves travellers feeling powerful and inspired! Whereas Tenorios impressive rapids give travellers a rush of a adrenaline!
Rio Celeste is in the middle of a spectacularly lush forest within the Tenorio Volcano National Park, just getting there is an excursion.Costa Rica is known for its incredible natural diversity. It is a country full of different micro-climates, ecological zones and habitats. Luckily, the park’s valley, located between two volcanoes, is a perfect example of this epic relationship. The Tenorio Volcano National Park is massive and protects almost 32,000 acres of primary rain forest. This dazzling forest is home to an astounding array of flora, fauna, and hot springs! Prepare to witness sloths hanging from trees, insects crawling up leaves, branches swaying in the wind, and much much more. The rio’s environment features out-of-this-world colours, unique sounds, and intense smells. Celeste’s famous mystical blue water and curious sulphur-y smell teleports travellers to an unknown world usually only travelled to by fiction. Sometimes nature is more creative than our own imagination!
Tenorio Volcano National Park also features the renowned Tenorio River. This river is a favourite among rafting aficionados, it is considered a hot spot for whitewater rafting and features class 3-4 rapids.Not to mention, the area surrounding Tenorio is loaded with breathtaking views and an array of gorgeous sights. Here you get to enjoy nature’s wonders by experiencing everything the area has to offer as you find yourself nestled between mountains and forests. Guanacaste’s precious Tenorio park offers natural pristine beauty, excitement, fascinating wildlife, and epic scenery!
Tenorio Volcano National Park Gallery
DID YOU KNOW?
- ‘Rio’ means ‘river’ in Spanish and ‘celeste’ means ‘of the sky’ and or ‘celestial’.
- Celeste River is fed by two colourless rivers, the Buenavista River and Sour Creek.
- Costa Rican folklore states that after God finished painting the sky he/she used Rio Celeste to wash off the colour from the brush.
- The river actually gets its colour from a mixture of sulphur and calcium carbonate which are seeded into the water from the nearby volcano.
- Tenorio Volcano National Park allows 1,200 people into the park each day and only allows 400 people on the trail at a time.
- Rio Celeste is surrounded by monkeys, sloths, and tropical birds!
- El Teñidero (‘The Dyer’) is the name given to the area where the Buena Vista River and Quebrada Agria River meet, which is also where the Celeste River water appears opaque and florescent neon blue.