SUNSET & SUNRISE
beautiful glaciers, great weather...an outdoor paradise
Every year thousands of people travel to Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city and top destination. This city is located on a peninsula in the southcentral region of Alaska and it’s known for its ‘dense’ population, wildlife, beautiful scenery, hiking, and coffee stands. Travel to Anchorage in order to understand why this incredible city receives close to 2 million visitors a year. That number is said to grow due to Alaska’s rising popularity and incredible natural sites.
WHY WE LOVE
Anchorage might have a big city vibe but it also has a small-town feel. Very few places in the world have this capacity. Anchorage is a city that offers everything from shopping, local brews, and moose sightings to spectacular hiking trails. It offers everything a big city does, but with much more allure and with a greater sense of community.
It is also very easy to get around as well as in and out of Anchorage. If you want to go south you take The Seward Highway, and if you want to go north, take the Glenn Highway. There is never stop and go traffic. Chances are, you’ll usually have the road to yourself. Alaska is wonderful for its simplicity as well as for having its priorities straight. Nature rules above all else, so much so that even billboards are illegal on Anchorage’s highways as they block the stunning scenery…way to go Alaska!
Once you travel to Anchorage you will understand the enormous amount of outdoor activities available.
If you like to hike, swim, mountain climb, ice climb, fish, or bike, you should travel to Anchorage. Apart from being able to enjoy a myriad of nature sports you also have the opportunity of having the wild wilderness all to yourself! Because most of Alaska is uninhabited it is quite common for you to find yourself alone with no one to bother you, just you and nature. Alaska is not only peaceful for its scenery but also for its lack of crowds.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Anchorage is almost equidistant from New York City, Frankfurt, and Tokyo. This famous town lies within a 9.5-hour airplane ride to nearly 90% of the industrialized world.
- It has won the All-America City Award, an award given by the National Civic League, four times.
- Anchorage is about the size of the whole state of Delaware, making it one of the largest cities in the U.S.
- Anchorage and its surrounding area is home to about 250 black bears and 60 grizzly bears.
- Anchorage’s public bus system is called the “People Mover.”
- It is one of the U.S most caffeinated cities and comes in second (after Seattle) to having the most espresso shops per capita.
- In 2009 the city hosted the World Beard and Moustache Championships.
- Denali, formerly known as Mount McKinley, in Denali National Park, is the highest mountain in North America at 6,190m (20,310 feet).