doubtful sound, fiordland
SUNSET & SUNRISE
The Doubtful Sound is a place of peace and quiet. The air is pure, the water is pristine, and the animals are plentiful.
The Doubtful Sound is three times longer and about 10 times larger than the Milford Sound. Although, not as popular as Milford, this sound is famous for its remote wilderness and spectacular natural beauty. This secluded fjord is not accessible by road, one must take a plane and boat to get there!
It is where people go to escape the trials of modern day life in order to reconnect with their surroundings.
WHY WE LOVE
Doubtful Sound Gallery
DID YOU KNOW?
- Like the Milford Sound, the Doubtful Sound is not a sound at all but was carved out by a glacier millions of years ago and is technically a fjord.
- The Doubtful Sound is known as ‘the Sound of Silence’.
- This fjord is the deepest and largest in Fiordland.
- Doubtful Sound is home to one of the southernmost populations of bottlenose dolphins. These chubby dolphins are bigger than normal, their extra blubber keeps them warm in the cold water.
- The fjord was first named Doubtful Harbour by Captain James Cook. The name stems from Cook’s doubt as to whether or not he should enter the fjord because it appeared to be too narrow for his boat to get through.
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
IF YOU LIKE doubtful Sound YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Landsborough, New Zealand, is capable of enchantment. It is home to spectacular valleys and an exceptionally wild and pristine river. Not to mention, this area is in the heart of the Southern Alps, which is about as remote as you can possibly get. No roads, no cell reception, not easily accessed.