Milford Sound, Fiordland
SUNSET & SUNRISE
Deep within the Fiordland National Park, located in the southwest section of New Zealand’s South Island, lies the Milford Sound.
South West New Zealand, also known as Te Wähipounamu, is famous for its stunning natural landscapes and incredible scenic beauty. Te Wähipounamu is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the Milford Sound is the region’s crown jewel.
The area is home to the magnificent Mitre Peak, as well as rainforests and waterfalls alike. The fjord is home to fur seal colonies, penguins, dolphins and a rare species of black coral.
WHY WE LOVE
We love the Milford Sound for many reasons, one of which is its incredible location. According to UNESCO, South West New Zealand not only offers exception natural characteristics, it also “…contains many of the natural features which contribute to New Zealand's international reputation for superlative landscapes, including its highest mountains, longest glaciers, tallest forests, wildest rivers and gorges, most rugged coastlines and deepest fiords and lakes, as well as the remnant of an extinct volcano in Solander Island. The temperate rainforests of the property are unmatched in their composition, extent and intactness by any such forests anywhere in the world.” What’s not to love?
Milford Sound is one of the places that is worth seeing from the sky in order to fully appreciate the extent of its beauty. Travelling by foot or boat opens your eyes to all of the fjord’s hidden gems and distinctions. Although Milford Sound is a remote location completely dedicated to nature, it is in fact the only fjord in New Zealand that is accessible by road. The fjord is surrounded by steep cliffs and a pristine lush rainforest.
The Milford Sound has awed travellers and captivated all of those who visit it with its ink like waters, gushing waterfalls, and out-of-this-world views.
It is one of the only places in the world where you can navigate between cliffs that appear to touch the sky while also viewing stunning waterfalls that cascade into the open water. But, the fjords captivating sights don’t end there, the area is also home to seals, penguins, and the world’s southernmost population of bottlenose dolphins. You can even observe whales!
The Milford Sound allows you to see awe-inspiring wildlife, get close to magnificent waterfalls, tour caves filled with glow worms, and appreciate the beauty and all around sensory experience of rain. We love the Milford Sound for it is a place filled with inspiration and petrichor!
Milford Sound Gallery
DID YOU KNOW?
- Milford Sound receives rainfall almost 200 days out of the year which means it receives about 7,000mm of rainfall. This makes the sounds the wettest inhabited place in New Zealand.
- Don’t let the name fool you…Milford Sound, aka Piopiotahi, is not actually a sound but a fjord!
- A 2008 international survey conducted by TripAdvisor dubbed the Milford Sound as the world’s top travel destination, winning the 2008 Travelers’ Choice Destination Award.
- Most of the time the fjord’s waters appear to be black!
- The Milford fjord is about 2 miles (3 km) wide, and about 12 miles (19 km) deep.
- According to one of the many Maori legends, a demi-god named Tu-te-raki-whanoa carved out the Fiordland's rugged landscape and jagged mountains. Milford Sound was the demi-god’s greatest and most impressive achievement due to its magnificent beauty. Legend states that when underworld goddess Hine-nui-te-po saw the fiord's beauty, she feared visitors would never want to leave the area, so she released sand-flies in order to push them away.
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
IF YOU LIKE milford sound YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Landsborough, New Zealand, is capable of enchantment. It is home to spectacular valleys and an exceptionally wild and pristine river. Not to mention, this area is in the heart of the Southern Alps, which is about as remote as you can possibly get. No roads, no cell reception, not easily accessed.