CANYONING & CLIFF JUMPING
Canyoning, or canyoneering in the U.S and kloofing in South Africa, is probably one of the oldest natural activity yet is also one of the youngest extreme sports. Canyoning refers to the act of travelling in canyons while implementing a variety of outdoor survival techniques. In other words, canyoning refers to getting down a canyon, in one piece.
This activity can include other activities such as walking, rappelling, swimming, and cliff jumping. Although canyoning and canyoneering usually involve technical descents, ones that require the use of abseiling and ropework, cliff jumping does fall under this category.
WHY WE LOVE
CANYONING & CLIFF JUMPING
DIVERSITY OF THE ACTIVITIES INVOLVED
There is a lot to love about canyoning and cliff jumping. Let’s begin with the versatility canyoning offers. This activity includes everything from hiking to jumping to swimming and manages to marry them into an epic adventure. Canyoning, aka canyoneering, can be as demanding as you like. This activity ranges from a fun and interesting way to embrace nature to an extreme sport. Where you fall on the spectrum of difficulty is entirely up to you. It is no secret that Wildthentic loves outdoor activities but they don’t necessarily have to be demanding or require Olympic training. You can spend the day descending rigorous gorges or discovering leisurely paths with occasional difficulties along the way. Some canyoning tours are even compatible with younger children.
FITNESS & EXCLUSIVE ACCESS
We love that descending canyons gives us a good workout and keeps us in shape because even though there are different levels of canyoning, aka canyoneering, that are measured by the canyon’s complexity, good physical health is necessary. Not only that, but because this activity is practiced in rugged environments it gives you authentic entry into various natural locations as well as access to incredible camp sites.
MENTALLY PREPARED FOR THE MIND & BODY
Canyoning offers a rush and is way cheaper than skydiving. It is also an activity that changes your perspective and way of thinking because we are usually focused on going up or moving forward, never climbing down. Canyoning, especially cliff jumping, require psychological preparedness. These activities teach you how to be mentally aware and focused while in nature, where anything can happen. Canyoning is a full experience of the senses and engages your entire body, including the mind.
THRILL OF CLIFF JUMPING
We love the activity of canyoning but we must also admit that cliff jumping is among one of our all-time favourite activities. Everything about the activity excites us. Cliff jumping goes from scary to exciting in a second flat and allows you to soar in the air just before you bury yourself in water.
CANYONING & CLIFF JUMPING Gallery
CANYONING & CLIFF JUMPING & THE NATURAL WORLD
This one is kind of a no-brainer. Canyoning and cliff jumping are acts that oppose mountain climbing. Instead of defying gravity, these activities use it. Not to mention these activities offer you entry into places where, in some cases, not even the sun’s rays reach.
Canyons are usually found in secluded rugged locations that offer dirt, rock, and water. They are perfect locations that features some of the most amazing endemic species and animals.
Canyoneering and cliff jumping captivate your senses and force you into direct contact with nature and the elements. You can smell the soil as feel and hear the water rushing down the canyon.
SOME TIPS FROM OUR EXPERTS WHILE KAYAKING
- Abseiling might not be necessary for every canyoning adventure, but it’s best if you know how.
- Always remember that swimming inside a canyon is not the same as swimming in a lake or your average river. Rivers cut through canyons and or gorges and wear away at rock creating irregular and or unexpected curves. Sometimes you’ll need to float on the water surface to avoid hidden rocks and sometimes you’ll be able to dive in with no problem. Always be alert!
- Protect your head at all times!
TOP EQUIPMENT WHILE CANYONING & CLIFF JUMPING
Canyoning usually requires gear like;
- Buoyancy aid
- Rope for gorge walking
- Rope bag
- Kit bag with dry bag inside
- Shoes that don’t lose grip when wet
- Belay device
Luckily if you’re planning on canyoning with us, we’ve got you covered. Our activities include gear, although we ask that you please visit activity pages for more detailed information.
Cliff diving doesn’t require any specific equipment and or gear but because it is usually done while performing other outdoor activities such as rafting, hiking, climbing, or other types of canyoning and chances are you will have a life vest and wetsuit with you.
DID YOU KNOW...
- Red Bull hosted a Cliff Diving World Series back in 2016.
- Cliff jumping is also known as tombstoning.
- Canyoning is called ‘canyoneering’ in the United States.
- The Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon (or Tsangpo Canyon), along the Yarlung Tsangpo River in Tibet, is regarded by some as the deepest canyon in the world at 5,500 m (18,000 ft).
- The rock at the bottom of the U. S’s Grand Canyon is estimated to be about 2 billion years old whereas the rock located at the rim of the canyon is believed to be about 230 million years old.
- Nanga Parbat's Rupal Face is usually mentioned as the highest cliff in the world. This cliff located in the Himalayas rises approximately 4,600 m, or 15,000 ft, above its base. According to others the highest cliff in the world stands at about 1,340 m high, and is located on the east face of Great Trango in the Karakoram mountains of northern Pakistan.
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
If you like Kayaking you may also like