ICE CLIMBING WITH WILDTHENTIC
Ice climbing is when ascend and or climb inclined ice formations. Ice climbers might climb on frozen waterfalls or large rocks covered with ice. Special equipment like ice axes, ropes and crampons are used to climb ice and glaciers.
This sport is usually divided into two sectors; alpine ice and water ice. There are some similarities to mountain climbing but dealing with an icy environment rather than rocks.
This activity sounds technical but is really accessible to beginners for a taster with the right equipment and guides and at the right place. So you can get the thrill while feeling perfectly safe!
WHY WE LOVE
Ice climbing is an incredibly dynamic sport that combines technique, precision, determination and excitement. The sport connects the appeal of winter’s beauty with the environment’s icy fast-paced action. Ice climbing requires intelligence in the same way chess does, one false move can cost you. This adrenaline-filled activity requires great technique, tactical mastery and nerves of steel. Climbing ice seems like an impossible feat which is only made possible by those executing complex moves in seemingly improbable positions.
Another lovely aspect of ice climbing is that you get to set your pace. You can decide on whether you would like to be calculated, meticulous, and slow in your ascension or fast, aggressive, and full-throttle.
It is also important to keep in mind that not all ice is created equal. Alpine ice climbing is practiced in a mountain environment. This type of ice is usually formed from compacted and aged snow. Alpine ice climbing can have long approaches and routes as well as steep sections, like the icy sections of a glacier. Water ice, on the other hand, is ice that has formed from frozen waterfalls or from temporary water runoff. This type of climbing is more vertical and usually formed from ‘newer’ ice. Water ice climbing is what you would see on the cover of some sports magazine due to the waters fascinating and intricate frozen designs.
Ice climbing not only pushes your mind and body, it also creates a space for you to exit your comfort zone and tackle extraordinary conditions surrounded by magnificent sights. To have a safe and rewarding experience this complex sport makes sure to put your skills to the test. Ice climbing challenges both the body and the mind and provides a huge boost in confidence.
ICE CLIMBING GALLERY
DID YOU KNOW...
- Water molecules freeze in a hexagonal pattern and the molecules are further apart than they were in liquid water.
- Professional climber Dani Arnold managed to climb 1,115 feet (340 meters) of vertical ice in 27 minutes and 13 seconds, a feat that would take most climbers an entire day.
- In 2006, more than 1.1 million people tried the sport of ice climbing.
- The ice that people climb is so strong that if the ice axe goes in just a centimetre, that is generally strong enough for the climber to pull up on.
- The UIAA (International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation) is working towards ensuring that ice climbing becomes an official competition sport at the 2022 Winter Olympic Games in Beijing.
- Ice farming is a real profession! These farmers are the people who create icy playgrounds for adults.
- Both alpine and water ice climbing are becoming increasingly appealing to young people from all areas of the world; the number of international climbers who take part in the World Youth Championships has been rising steadily.
ICE CLIMBING & THE NATURAL WORLD
Ice Climbing is the winter sport of all sports. There are few other sports that combine the ultimate physical performance with the intensive experience of nature in such an intensive way. Ice climbing allows you to get up close and personal with one of nature’s most exciting landscapes.
The tactile experience of having your body up against massive ice formations is enough to change your entire perspective on the world. This type of climbing forces you to become comfortable with extreme conditions and actions.
SOME TIPS FROM OUR EXPERTS WHILE ICE CLIMBING
Practice your ABCs! These are the fundamentals of climbing;
- Agility, the ability to change body positions efficiently
- Balance, the ability to control the body’s position
- Coordination, the ability to use different parts of the body as a unit in order for them to work smoothly
EQUIPMENT USED WHILE ICE CLIMBING
Ice climbing is a complex but rewarding sport that requires a lot of equipment and proper attire. Below you will find the ice climbing must-haves:
- Rope (dry preferred; 9mm-10.5mm x 60m)
- Harness (with adjustable leg loops)
- Boots (crampon-compatible)
- Ice axe (with leash)
- Belay/rappel device
- Climbing pack
- Locking carabiner(s)
- Nonlocking carabiners
- Runners—singles and doubles
- Prusik cords
- Hand protection (athletic tape, gloves)
- Signaling mirror
- Crevasse rescue gear
- Avalanche transceiver
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
If you like Ice Climbing you may also like
A wonderful underwater experience that allows you to get close to some of nature´s most feared animals, not to mention it provides a pretty serious adrenaline rush!