Mountain climbing is the practice of climbing to elevated points for sport, pleasure, or research. Also called mountaineering, it is practiced throughout the world.
There are three types of mountain climbing. In the easiest, trail climbing, participants merely hike along trails to the top of a particular mountain. The trails generally are not very steep, and the mountains are relatively small. Rock climbing takes place on steeper slopes and larger mountains. Participants generally must ascend on hands and feet, employing special equipment that may include thick rubber-soled boots or other special shoes, rope, and steel spikes, known as pitons, that are driven into the rock as an aid to climbing. Ice climbing is also a part of mountain climbing but we decided to put that in its own category.
WHY WE LOVE
Mountain climbing is different than other sports in that nature alone is what provides the field of action. It is a sport that occurs between the mountain and the participant, that is it. For this reason, some might find mountain climbing daunting but it is in fact one of the major reasons we love it. There is no better person to be in competition with than yourself. Climbing mountains provides thrills only those who have done it before will recognize, it tests your courage, resourcefulness, cunning, strength, ability, and stamina while having to deal with a risky situation. Mountaineering is a sport that can be done alone as well as with a group. It can also be a group activity, that helps form tight bonds of trust between the supporters and those being supported. Every meter one ascends is an achievement, achievements occur at every stage. For most climbers, the pleasures of mountaineering lie not only in the “conquest” of a peak but also in the physical and spiritual satisfactions brought about through intense personal effort, ever-increasing proficiency, and contact with natural grandeur.
Mountain climbing is also a fantastic way to get in or stay in shape. Not only does this sport allow you to exercise in nature where there is fresh air, it also engages an incredible amount of muscle groups. Humans are accustomed to horizontal movement not vertical…talk about switching things up. Not only that, climbing not only pushes your mind and body, it also creates a space for you to exit your comfort zone and tackle extraordinary conditions surrounded by magnificent sights. To have a safe and rewarding experience this complex sport makes sure to put your skills to the test. Mountain climbing challenges both the body and the mind and provides a huge boost in confidence. This activity will teach you patience, persistence, and gratitude. There is nothing better than the feeling of reaching the top of a mountain you just worked your butt off to get up.
MOUNTAIN CLIMBING Gallery
DID YOU KNOW...
- At Everest's highest point, you are breathing in a third of the amount of oxygen you would normally breathe due to the atmospheric pressure.
- Sherpa refers to a Tibetic ethnic group of people native to the most mountainous regions of Nepal, China, Bhutan, India, and the Himalayas. Although now the term ‘sherpa’ has also become a slang byword used by foreigners to refer to a guide or mentor in support of mountaineering expeditions in the Himalayas.
- Scottish mountains over 3,000ft high are called Munros. British mountains and hills over 150 metres high are called Marilyns.
- Mountaineering gained popularity in the 18th century and by 1857, mountaineering became a more competitive, popular sport in Britain with the founding of The Alpine Club, the first mountaineering club.
- Climbing is among one of the four new sports set to make its debut at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- The jumar, a mechanical device used for ascending on a rope, is named after two inventors, Jurgen (Ju) and Walter Marti (mar) and their Swiss factory which developed the first tool for sale in 1958.
OUR SIGNATURE MOUNTAIN CLIMBING WILDTHENTIC EXPERIENCES
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.
MOUNTAIN CLIMBING & THE NATURAL WORLD
Mountain climbing directly connects you to the natural world, so much so that you depend on it. Climbers come fact to fact with many natural obstacles such as falling rocks, rain, snow, fogginess, all of which get you closer to nature and allow you to better understand her conditions.
Climbing also allows you to see places very few people get the opportunity to visit. Everything is different when you’re high up; you breathe differently, feel differently, and get to see your surroundings differently. Most people decide to stay on the ground and not venture off up high altitudes. The upside to this is, you will get to experience nature without the burden of a crowd and the panoramic views at the mountain peak will make the entire experience worth it. You will get to spend time with the magic mountain you managed to conquer…talk about a natural high (pun intended)!
SOME TIPS FROM OUR EXPERTS WHILE MOUNTAIN CLIMBING
Practice your ABCs! These are the fundamentals of climbing;
- Agility, the ability to change body positions efficiently
- Balance, the ability to control the body’s position
- Coordination, the ability to use different parts of the body as a unit in order for them to work smoothly
EQUIPMENT USED WHILE MOUNTAIN CLIMBING
Mountain climbing is a complex but rewarding sport that requires a lot of equipment and proper attire. Below you will find the mountain climbing must-haves:
- Rope (dry preferred; 9mm-10.5mm x 60m)
- Harness (with adjustable leg loops)
- Boots (crampon-compatible)
- Belay/rappel device
- Climbing pack
- Route description or guidebook
- Locking carabiner(s)
- Nonlocking carabiners
- Runners—singles and doubles
- Prusik cords
- Hand protection (athletic tape, gloves)
- Signalling mirror
- Crevasse rescue gear
- Avalanche transceiver
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
If you like MOUNTAIN CLIMBING you may also like