Standup paddleboarding (SUP) also known as stand-up paddle surfing derives from surfing but is different in that it normally does not involve wave riding. More often than not, SUP is performed on flat waters while paddlers stand on their boards and use a paddle to propel themselves through the water.
There are many different reasons for standup paddleboarding, some of which include recreation, fitness, or sightseeing. SUP allows for racing on lakes, large rivers and canals, surfing on ocean waves, paddling in river rapids (Whitewater SUP), Paddle board yoga, fishing and more!
WHY WE LOVE
SUP provides participants with a great core workout while also granting them with increased visibility both above and into the water. This low impact outdoor activity gives a full body workout while improving one’s balance and strengthening the body’s core. It’s no wonder it has become one of the fastest growing beginner sport practice within the United States…people can’t get enough of it!
Paddle-boarding has many benefits, not only is this sport good for your heart, it is good for your brain and reflexes as well. SUP requires participants to stand upright on a board which is floating on water, this requires core stability and leg strength in order to maintain balance. This means that paddlers must be focused while keeping their muscles engaged. SUP guarantees a full body work out while being out in nature. Both actions have proven to reduce anxiety, and stress levels while uplifting one’s mood and overall mental health. Vitamin D and sea air provide the perfect pick-me-up. Exposing skin to sunlight boost the body’s vitamin D production, and helps one achieve a better night’s sleep by improving the secretion of serotonin and melatonin. Not to mention, salty sea air has also been shown to help clear the airways as you breathe.
But wait, there’s more...standup paddbleboarding is a relatively easy and affordable way to partake in a social activity, it does not require heavy and or expensive gear and allows surfers to chat alongside each other. Paddleboarding is much more welcoming than other one-person water activities like surfing or waterskiing. In fact, it is the perfect activity for families, especially those with small children. Kids can easily sit on the board with an adult while they too enjoy the lovely outdoors.
STANDUP PADDLEBOARDING Gallery
DID YOU KNOW...
- In Tel Aviv, Lifeguards from Tel Aviv have used a stand-up board called “hasakeh” since the first decades of the 20th century.
- Ivan Moreira and Bono, the surfing dog from Brazil, hold the record for the longest Stand Up Paddleboard ride which they completed on a 1,690.5 meter (1.05 miles) long stretch in Mearim River, in Arari, Maranhão, Brazil.
- According to the "2015 Paddlesports report", stand up paddle boarding has increased every year since 2010.
- A 2013 report suggest SUP has the most first-time participants of any sport in the USA.
- John Zapotocky is considered the father of modern-day standup paddleboarding. He paddleboarded until the end of his life and at 95 years old was the oldest standup paddle surfer in the world!
- Stand up paddleboarders over the age of 12 aren’t required to wear a life jacket.
- Founded in June 2007, Standup Journal is the first magazine entirely dedicated to SUP.
STANDUP PADDLEBOARDING & THE NATURAL WORLD
SUP is an easy way to enjoy nature. It is an activity that requires being out on the water. Paddle-boarding connects people to the environment by allowing them to move and glide along small as well as large bodies of water.
Paddleboarders practice the sport with nothing but the wide-open air above their heads. They get to enjoy the sun’s beautiful rays while also admiring nature’s beauty from a privileged position. SUP permits travellers to witness the local scenery from a new angle and gives a better view than on land. Standup Paddleboarding permits adventurers to get exceptionally close to wildlife and coastlines, much more so than boating does for example. Laird Hamilton, one of the world’s top surfers, likened this activity to ‘walking on water’. Which is not a stretch considering paddle-boarding gives you a chance to explore the water in the same way you might roam around on dry land.
Paddleboarders get to enjoy the benefits of sun, sea water and the sea breeze!
SOME TIPS FROM OUR EXPERTS WHILE STANDUP PADDLEBOARDING
- Make sure to look at the horizon and not at your toes. Looking straight ahead will help you keep your balance on the board and save you from falling off and or crashing into someone or something else. Keep your head up, back straight and your body weight over your toes.
- Falling is inevitable. Don’t let it get you and always get back on the board. In order to fall correctly it is important that you keep your arms close to your body and don’t try to reach out and grab your board. This way you will avoid hurting yourself.
- Climbing back on your board can be somewhat difficult, to make this process easier you should work your way to the end of the board, allow your legs float up to the top of the surface, and then slowly inch your way onto the tail as you move towards the centre of the board. It might not go smoothly at first but if you practice this method you will most definitely get the hang of it.
- Remember to practice your standup paddle technique and to pace yourself in order to be efficient and reserve your energy. This is important especially during long paddle sessions. Focus on your body position and make sure to increase intensity as you go on, this will keep you from ‘burning out’ towards the end of the session. The more efficient our paddle stroke is, the faster and longer we can paddle with less fatigue.
EQUIPMENT USED WHILE STANDUP PADDLEBOARDING
Stand up paddlers wear a variety of wet suits and other clothing, depending on water and air temperature since most of their time is spent standing on the board.
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
If you like STANDUP PADDLEBOARDING you may also like