UNIQUE HIKES WITH WILDTHENTIC
Hiking is a word used to describe the act of travelling by foot in the mountains or the countryside. Hiking has various levels of difficulty ranging from easy to difficult, this type of exercise is usually considered a leisure activity. Hikers get to enjoy nature’s many pleasures including spectacular sights and fresh air.
Hiking is probably one of the most common types of nature-based activity but the ones we select, as part of Wildthentic, have all in common to be guided and unique in some ways, be it from a stunning location, an iconic spot, exclusive access, remoteness, walking on ice in a glacier or and being rewarding. Each hike experience is carefully picked and will leave you in awe.
WHY WE LOVE
OUR UNIQUE HIKES
Hiking is the perfect example of an activity that embodies T.S Eliot’s famous saying, “The journey, Not the destination matters...”. We love unique hikes because they allow you to travel through foreign and often overlooked terrains like deserts, glaciers, rainforests, and even jungles!
Hiking is attractive for people who enjoy adventure and challenges. It is an activity that pushes you to the limit and forces you to face your physical and mental capacity, all while being outdoors. Hiking gives you the opportunity to grow and become stronger by tackling every journey with nothing but your legs and feet.
Hiking also has incredible mental and physical health benefits. The type of lateral motion that occurs during hikes is different than the normal movements we tend to go like walking, biking, or running. The motions attributed to hiking are good for your cardiovascular system because they cause your heart to work harder than usual. Also, the walking among uneven surfaces engages your core and provides a natural way for you to work on your balancing skills.
Another advantage of hiking is the restorative, stress-relieving, and antianxiety powers of being outside in nature. This comes of no surprise considering hiking combines two powerful mood boosters, exercise and being in nature. Not to mention it doesn’t require expensive equipment and has an exceptionally low foot print. Hiking is an enjoyable activity that offers nice views, fresh air, and the sounds and smells of nature!
Let’s not forget the feeling of achievement after climbing, sweating, tripping, resting, and walking up again, getting to the summit with the beautiful view and being in the know that we made it, is a wonderful sensation.
UNIQUE HIKES GALLERY
OUR SIGNATURE UNIQUE HIKE EXPERIENCES
UNIQUE HIKES & THE NATURAL WORLD
There will always be adventure waiting in nature and hiking is the perfect way to find it. Going for hikes connects us with our roots, we become intimate with earth and learn how to ‘tune in’ to her frequency. All our senses are awakened when we spend time in Nature.
Hiking can be done over almost any terrain. You can go on glacier walks, jungle treks, desert hikes, bush and even safari walks! There’s no limit to where you can go, your feet are the only tools you need as you witness the magic and power of nature’s; trees, meadows, mountains, deserts, streams, rocks, rivers, icefjords, glaciers, sunrises, and sunsets. To be human in the wild is a beautiful thing.
All our hikes are guided by local, often naturalist guides, allowing for an interpretation of nature, identifying the amazing biodiversity around us. Endemic plants or bird species, glacier formation, geology, wildlife threats, habitat and behaviour, won’t have any more secrets to you. You will become fully conscious of your surroundings for not only a physical but also a mental connection with nature.
SOME TIPS FROM OUR EXPERTS WHILE ON OUR UNIQUE HIKES
- Join a hiking group or club. The fastest way to become a good hiker is to do it with other people because it’s fun and motivating.
- Hydrate properly. Every terrain and body is different but as a general rule of thumb you should stick to carrying about 1 litre of water for every two hours you will be hiking.
- Leave a detailed trip plan with a trusted friend or relative. This is especially important if you are going alone and or with a group to a new unexplored area.
- If travelling in altitude, make sure to allow enough time to acclimatize, don’t exert yourself, and if you start feeling a headache, do go further down and rest.
EQUIPMENT USED WHILE ON UNIQUE HIKES
Although the hiking doesn’t require much gear other than shoes we still believe that having some essentials will help you during your journey and possibly help keep you safe if any mishaps were to occur.
The famous climber’s organization established in 1930 known as The Mountaineers compiled a list of essential items needed during an accident or emergency which includes; Map, Compass, Navigation (map and compass), Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen), Insulation (extra clothing), Illumination (headlamp/flashlight), First-aid supplies, Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles), Repair kit and tools, Nutrition (extra food), Hydration (extra water), Emergency shelter.
Please keep in mind that you should also wear comfy trousers with a stretchy waist while hiking, this allows for maximum flexibility. Comfortable hiking shoes and or hiking boots, depending on the terrain, are also important items to have and if you don’t have hiking socks make sure to double up in order to avoid blisters.
Depending on your environment, the type of equipment will vary greatly. Glacier hikes, for example, involve additional gear such as ice axe, crampons, helmet, rope while some rainforest treks may require rain boots and or gaiters and strong mosquito repellent.
DID YOU KNOW...
- Despite the economic recession of 2007, the outdoor recreation industry managed to grow about 5% annually from 2005 to 2011.
- In 1965 the United States established National Trails System which increased the total mileage of trails on federal lands from 88,000 miles (141622 km) to 193,500 miles (311,408 km). On state lands, the number increased from 15,000 miles (24,140 km) to 42,500 miles (68,397 km).
- Hiking is on the rise. 35 million Americans went day hiking in 2013, which is a 16% increase from the 30 million people who went hiking in 2006.
- In 2008, trail availability was the number one amenity among prospective home buyers in the United States, outranking things such as security, golf courses, parks, and access to shopping.
- The length of the Triple Crown (Appalachian, Pacific Crest and Continental Divide) trails combined equal a total of 7,325 miles (11,788 km).
- ‘Tramping’ is the word New Zealanders use for a long, vigorous walk or hike. Whereas ‘bushwalking’ is both a New Zealand and Australian word that refers to both on and off-trail hiking.
- ‘Trekking’ is a common word used to describe multi-day hiking in the mountainous regions of India, Pakistan, Nepal, North America, South America, Iran as well as in the highlands of East Africa. Hiking a long-distance trail from end-to-end is also referred to as ‘trekking’.
WHY BOOK WITH
Feel different by doing something unique and awe-inspiringBecause your curiosity to discover new things is endless, we are making you rediscover the world, experiencing things you will never forget. We are a reference in experiential tourism, thanks to an exceptional team of experts who hand-pick some of the most extraordinary nature-based experiences in the planet.
Enjoy the destination at the fullest with our exclusive quality sealSit back and relax as we did all the checks for you. All excursions that are part of the ‘Wildthentic Experiences Collection’ have passed through our certification process. We audit over 200 criteria doing site inspections and getting final validation from our board of key actors in tourism. This is what ensures the ‘Wow Factor’, the secret recipe that connects with your emotions.
Fast, easy and secure booking systemWe know you like it fast, in this ever-happening buoyant digital world. Our online platform provides live availability, instant confirmation, secure payment from a worldwide reputable company, and is fast and easy. Your dream experience is only a few clicks away.
If you like Kayaking you may also like
Unique Lodges Experience
This section is dedicated to the people who appreciate their surroundings and want to be engulfed in nature’s magnificence. The Unique lodges’ category is meant to cater to different desires and needs, whether you are an adrenaline seeking, foodie, or part of a nature-loving couple.